This price range is the sweet spot of prices vs. quality.
That is why in our past 10 updates the TOP 3 choices in this price range were also the TOP 3 Overall.
That’s why we don’t even have a listed category of air mattresses under 50 bucks. You might see the companies claiming the air mattresses being puncture proof or whatnot but two simple truths are:
- (a) there is no completely puncture proof ( or even resistant) air mattress
- (b) to minimize your chances of facing the headaches of leaks and you have have to look for an airbed that has a proven track record of solid PVC and seams.
The harsh truth is, you’ll almost never find it for under $50 bucks.
We’re not going to get into the pesky tech stuff about the cost of the PVC and what kid of a PVC you can use to make an air mattress that costs $30, we’ be on our way to presenting the results in this price range.
TOP 3 air mattresses in the price range
| || |
& price comparison link
Series Air Mattress
Top of the price range and top choice overall – SoundAsleep Dream Series
Ratings – 9.7 / 10
One of the best beds of the year in any category, this mattress shook the foundation of the air mattress market. The only issue is that it’s out of stock so often. I am guessing the guys at SoundAsleep were not ready for this kind of demand
Let us dig deeper and see what’s so good about it:
The fact sheet of the mattress:
- Innovative internal design for optimal support – 40 comfort coils
- no air leaks – extra strong double stitched seams
- fast plug-and-play pump inflates and deflates the bed in under 3 minutes
- Extra height for a more luxurious sleeping experience
- no sliding or slipping – sure grip materials used at the bottom (thick durable PVC)
- Flocked, durable, waterproof top
- Soft top finish
- carry bag included
- 1-year full Guarantee on any defects
See the Amazon ratings of the Dream Series and compare prices below
The PROs – from the users of the bed:
- this is my 4th air bed and the best so far…
- it really doesn’t leak…I set it up 10 days ago and have been sleeping on it every night without adding air
- great customer service, the bed had a hole on arrival and they sent me a new one the next day…
- it’s just as comfortable as my regular mattress which cost me 5 times as much…
- I like the sturdy sides…we don’t sink to the middle like we used to with our old inflatable…
- so simple to set up an down…packs small, too…
- well deserved name…haven’t slept this well in months…
- surprised how fast the shipping was, it was on my steps the next day…
- the height is just right so you neither jump of it or stand up from it…
- the velvet finish keeps the sheets in place…
- the auto-deflation is so practical…
The CONs – as per the users:
- it fills the room with a faint plastic odor that lingers for days…
- It leaks somewhere and I can’t find the leak, I’ve sent it back and waiting for replacement…
Hands down the best bang for your buck in this or any other price range, the SoundAsleep Dream Series is THE mattress to get these days and that was the case for the last 2 years.
We love the fact that the “new” arrivals we’ve seen in the form of the Lazery Sleep and we don’t even know how to call it so we’re calling it Sky Blue (it’s given name is “Best Choice” but we’re not calling it that, it’s just confusing for our readers).
The times are a-changing indeed, this is the first update we’ve seen since we started the website back in 2012 that none of the industry giants like Insta, Aerobed or Serta have a place in the TOP 3 here. It might not be so good for them but it’s great for the industry.
It means more caution when outsourcing, better approach when trying to cut cost…all good things…
But back to the analysis of the SoundAsleep – yes, rated at 97/100, if the small family company which SoundAsleep still is continued the good work and simply doesn’t change a thing, we see this bed dominating for the unforeseeable future.
Summary of it’s features and advantages:
See what the users are saying about the Sound Asleep Dream Series on Amazon below
Lazery Sleep – runner up of the category
Ratings – 8.9 / 10
Runner-up of the category is a refreshing in more ways than one. First of all, the color – we haven’t been dealing with many read airbeds over the past year, but that’s just means it’s easy on the eyes.
Surprisingly (since we didn’t expect much from the air mattress when it hit the market), this product is currently the runner-up both in the price range and Overall and has been for over a few months now. It’s very similar to the SoundAsleep in terms of the technology and materials used.
Let’s get to it’s fact sheet and what our featured testers shared – we have to admit here that the pool of data we have on Lazery is not as big as with other products, it’s “young”.
But, we have enough date to rate and review it.
The fact sheet of the inflatable bed:
- fast electric pump (built-in) and an LED remote
- inflation/deflation time – under 4 minutes
- 500 lbs is the max supported weight
- highest quality vinyl used
- luxurious soft top
- all the materials used are certified as non-toxic
- 1 Year full warranty on all defects
See what the users are saying about the Lazery Sleep on Amazon below
The PROs the tester report:
- super easy to inflate and deflate…
- I love the raised edges, it’s like sleeping on a cloud…
- I’ve been sleeping on it 5 nights in a row without the need to add air…
- I like the firmness, no rolling into the middle of the bed like with my old airbeds…
- quiet pump…
- comfortably sleeps two adults, and we only added air once in 10 days…
- just as supportive and firm as a regular mattress…
- didn’t expect too much at that price point, bought it just for the camping trip, it exceeded my expectations…
- fast delivery…
- super friendly customer service…
- my guests couldn’t stop talking about it the next morning…
The Cons the testers reported:
- distinct rubbery odor can last for days…
- I feel the rushes of cold air during the night…
- it seems to leak somewhere and I can’t find where…waiting for the replacement…
My review resume:
The ratings of the Lazery Sleep paint a pretty good picture, it’s very close in every quality aspect that matters to the winner of the category and if you look at things like that, it comes down to color preference – blue of the SoundAsleep vs. red of the Lazery Sleep.
Even the Amazon ratings are pretty close at the moment of writing this review, compare the two beds below.
See what the users are saying about the Lazery Sleep on Amazon below
Sky Blue with a Bamboo Cover
Ratings – 8.8 / 10
The only bone we have to pick with this airbed is the name. They named it something like “Best Choice”…
Now, we can’t call it that because it would be confusing for the reader, what’s the best choice – the SoundAsleep or the Best Choice…??
So wherever this bed appears in our guides we’ll call like above “Sky Blue with a Bamboo Cover”.
The product specifications:
- Hypoallergenic bamboo skirt
- Removable Bamboo Cover – fitted and machine-washable
- 600 lbs capacity
- Coil-beam design for increased durability
- Materials – vinyl encased in nylon laminate (the company claims it increases the durability of the PVC by 40% and minimizes stretching)
- Powerful two-way pump inflates and deflates the bed in minutes
- Just the perfect height…
- More stylish than most airbeds – a good choice for a guest airbed
- It has 100 lbs in capacity over the other two choices on the list
- Beam construction really does mean better weight distribution if it works as advertised, and in this blow up bed, it does
- The only airbed on the list that comes as a King size air mattress
- my mother stayed for a week and she was very pleased with the comfort (and believe me, she’s hard to please) and we didn’t add air once during her stay…
- simple to operate, set up, set down and also packs small for storage…
- great customer service…
- develops a plastic odor, but the instructions says to inflate and deflate it 3 times before use to get rid of the odor, and it worked…
Nicknamed Sky Blue (by us) this product definitely deserves a place among the best air mattresses, which is where it has been in last few updates.
And seeing so many reviews talking about outstanding customer service of this small company is just great.
Made by a website that only used to carry and provide (solid) information on air mattresses, which means they knew what works and what doesn’t as they were designing this airbed.
So far so good and the last piece of the equation is to see how the product will stand the test of time over the long haul.
From what we can see, and read in it’s reviews, this bed has arrived. You can see it’s Amazon ratings and more user reviews below.
See what the users are saying about the Sky Blue on Amazon below
Honorable mentions in the price range
As we said, we firmly believe that the domination we are seeing these days from the new kids on the block of air mattress is good for YOU, the end-user.
It means more work for us and our featured testers, but this became our full-time job and it’s good we are finally seeing some serious movements – we are eager to see the response of the industry giants and classic brands to the trend.
For now, some of the industry classics are trailing, but they still deserve a mention and that’s why we have this following section, where we pay respects to the airbeds that were at the TOP 10 over the past year or two.
Serta Raised Airbed with a Never-Flat Pump
Ratings – 8.8 / 10
The better of the two air mattresses that include a never-flat pump.
The pump was all the rage when it was first introduced but it’s becoming less of a factor as blow up beds appear that don’t have the issue of maintaining firmness in the first place.
The features as Serta lists them:
- extra height for extra comfort
- pre-sets of firmness you can choose from
- powerful electric pump inflates and deflates the bed in minutes
- the secondary pump is designed to remain in the ON mode so that it adds air whenever the sensors inside recognize the bed is loosing pressure (yes, that means you can just turn it on and forget about adding air)
- soft plush top
- only highest quality materials used
So, Serta has a lot to brag about in this bed, but let’s see what the customers are saying:
The PROs – from our testers (direct quotes):
- my best investment in years, it works just as good as the day it arrived…
- exactly as advertised…
- such a relief that I don’t have to worry about adding air, I just leave the small pump in the ON mode and forget about it…
- This was supposed to be a negative review but I changed it after a great experience with their customer service. I called them ready to argue, but they were very professional and replaced my bed that leaked with a new one in a matter of days…
- I don’t really like the air-bed feel, but when I slept on this Serta at my dad’s place I got one for our house…just as comfortable and sturdy as a regular mattress…
- No change after 4 months of everyday use, , the best queen air mattress under $200 I owned, and this is my 4th one
- This is my 5th air mattress and there’s really no comparison, this bed is a whole level above my previous beds…
- I got this as a temporary solution for a move and it’s now my primary bed, I see no reason to invest thousands when this bed is just as comfortable…
- I’ve bee thinking and researching for weeks before going with this bed. I am completely satisfied in any aspect that matters…
- True to advertised size…
- Finally an air bed that doesn’t squeak when I turn during the night…I can relax and sleep without worrying about waking others…
- I’ve got this when my brother and his wife came to visit us for the summer…now I hear they got one for their home…
See what the users are saying about the Serta Never-Flat on Amazon below
- it develops a rubbery smell, and it takes days for it to fade…
- it started to leak and it’s impossible to find the spot…I am sending this back…
My review resume:
I owned this bed and I know this bed. It hasn’t changed in years and I took it camping, hiking… sleeping on nothing but rocks underneath.
I’ve had my grandchildren jump on it, and it was still the same after years of use until I retired it to the basement where my son was putting together his “man-cave” or whatever.
I know what’s the most confusing aspect of choosing an air bed. You go over to Amazon and read people saying something similar to what I said above – how good it is and how well it holds air and then you see people saying just the opposite.
So, where is the answer?
Simple – in statistics. Over the years of doing these reviews, I developed a precise yet very simple rating system. I count all the reviews I can find and see how many of the users are saying it holds air well and how many of them report leaks.
Then I follow up these products and tweak the rating formulas.
That way I’ve established precise criteria to determine if something is a fluke or a real issue with the product. It sounds complicated, but it’s just 2nd grade math and a lot of patience to count the reviews.
Bottom line – there will always be reports of leaks, these are all air mattresses. Some of them come flawed out of the factory and some of them get damaged in transport.
This Serta is well within the “green zone” and if you get one that leaks, you just replace it. That’s easy with Serta – they have a very professional and friendly customer service.
I’m sorry if I bored you with my formula talk, just wanted to explain how I draw my conclusions. This is a price range that offers a wide variety of choices, you can even get yourself an airbed with a frame if that suits your needs.
Anyway, this Serta Raised is a solid, reliable airbed proven over the years. One of the best value-for-money offers on the market.
SimplySleeper SS-58RF Raised 18″ airbed
Ratings – 8.3 / 10
This is one of the few air mattresses that received a full 10/10 in both Durability and Longevity categories.
The innovative material does makes a difference in terms of puncture-resistance. Apart from being one of the most durable and one of the top choices among airbeds for everyday use, the material makes it the only bed on the list that you can easily clean without staining.
The fact sheet of the SS-58RF:
- Patented material – Durmothane Polyester (durable PVC)
- Powerful and fast pump – 110v and 600W of power
- Inflation and deflation time – 3 minutes
- Four size choice and all of them true-to-size
- three layers puncture resistant materials
- weight max 600 lbs
- one year warranty on the airbed, two years on the pump and valve
- Full 1-YEAR warranty
Check out on the link below what other customers had to say about this mattress on Amazon:
PROs as reported by users:
- better than our matrix bed that cost 5 times as much…
- inflates and deflates just as quickly as they said in the add…
- very friendly customer service…
- inflates in just over 2 minutes
- took it camping 4 times so far, no issues at all, just make sure you have where to plug int in for the first inflation
- the pillows stay in place and that a huge relief compared to my old inflatable, I guess it’s because of the material that feels different compared to any blow up bed I owned
- firm and comfortable, no sinking…
- well worth the price tag…
- my father in law has back problems and we got this for when he comes over, he says it’s the best night’s sleep he had in years…
- I like how big this bed is…
- feels like a real mattress…
- If you are sleeping with no sheets, the material will take getting used to
- No color choices
- Costs a bit more than the other beds on list
My review resume:
Judging by the reviews, if you own pets and your airbed will suffer daily claw-attacks this is the bed to own.
The company making it (SimplyGlobo) is known as reliable manufacturers that stands behind it’s products and has a good, polite and fast customer service.
The 1-Year warranty is the touch that puts this bed over the TOP and places it (currently) among our TOP 10 choices and TOP 3 if durability & Longevity is your primary concern.
See what the users are saying about the SimplySleeper 58-RF on Amazon below
This month’s update in the category finally brought a significant change, a change among the TOP 3. That’s big, it hasn’t happen in almost a year now.
The thought I’d like to leave you with – last year our website has seen a massive overhaul in the form of excluding air mattresses with unstable ratings and quality changes. We are now listing air mattresses that we can firmly stand behind as being top of the line.
I’m saying this because the depths we take our ratings and reviews to it might seem like you are seeing an air mattress that’s not as good. Bear in mind, every last bed you see listed on our website is one of the best out there and you can relax if you like a bed that’s not as highly-rated as the SoundAsleep.
We’ve been getting questions about this – when people read the reviews and they had their eyes set on an air mattress they get taken aback and hesitate. Just last week I got a question from a lady from Great Falls, Montana, saying that she really liked the Insta EZ but is now thinking it’s not good enough because of our reviews and the couple of points in rankings difference.
Don’t go down that road – if the bed is listed an rated on our website it’s absolutely worth it, especially after the overhaul when we cut down the beds we are listing only about 4 dozen airbed from the hundreds we tested and still testing.
Bottom line – if you see it here, relax and don’t think about the ratings difference, if you don’t ask us in the comments or through email, we probably tested or reviewed it at some point over the years.
Take care and sleep tight,
Latest posts by James Menta (see all)
- The Homeowner’s Guide to Mattress Cleaning & Disinfection - March 26, 2018
- Air mattress size chart & top choices by size - March 14, 2017
- Materials used for air mattress production – (TPU vs. vinyl) how to eliminate the risk completely - March 13, 2017